Scripture Passage: Matthew 9:9-13
Main Point: Jesus Is Better
Summary: Often times when we hear about Jesus we hear about all that we’ll have to give up to follow him. We get caught up in the sacrifice and what he might take, that we’re afraid to put our faith in him. This week we talked about the calling of Matthew, and how he wasn’t concerned with the fear of future sacrifice but decided that Jesus is better because he desires mercy before that sacrifice.
- What do you think Jesus wants from you?
- What do you think Jesus offers you?
- Does what Jesus might want, scare you? Or seem not worth it?
- What do you think it means when Jesus says he desires mercy over sacrifice?
- Do you think the Christian life consists of sacrifice?
- Is there anything not worth giving up while walking with Jesus?
- List some things that would be hard to give up if Jesus was leading you to. What steps can you take to be okay with giving those things up?
- Sacrifice isn’t necessary for acceptance, but rather a thankful offering because of Jesus mercy for us. Mercy comes first. How can you show mercy this week to someone first?